Dermatologist in Hamilton discusses the benefits of microneedling treatment
As a Board-certified dermatologist (certified in the United States as well as Canada), Dr. Rahul Shukla has knowledge of many aesthetic skin care techniques and a great deal of clinical experience which puts him in a good position to suggest the most appropriate treatment to meet the individual’s needs. In many cases, his recommendation is microneedling, for the benefits it delivers to male and female patients in the Hamilton, ON area.
At drs skincare, the patient is an important part of the treatment planning team. Dr. Shukla takes plenty of time to listen to your concerns and evaluate the condition of your skin. Then he provides unbiased information to help you make informed care decisions. That consultation often starts with an easy-to-understand lesson on what skin is and what it does.
While skin has a complex anatomy, there are four primary components:
- Epidermis – This is the outer layer of skin. It forms a barrier that products underlying tissues from harmful pathogens in the environment and from the elements. Nerves in the epidermis give you a sensation of touch and temperature.
- Melanocytes – This type of cell resides in the epidermis, producing pigments called melanin that give color to your complexion.
- Dermis – Connective tissues, sweat glands, and hair follicles are located in the next layer of skin, called the dermis.
- Hypodermis – This deeper subcutaneous tissue holds fat cells that help to cushion internal organs and regulate body temperature.
While Dr. Shukla is well-qualified to advise on methods to keep all aspects of your skin healthy, microneedling focuses on returning the dermis, or middle layer, to a state of vitality. That, in turn, improves the appearance of the epidermis, or surface layer that you see when you look in the mirror.
Microneedling stimulates natural healing processes
Microneedling is a minimally-invasive procedure that invigorates your skin’s own ability to rejuvenate. Skin is cleansed, and a topical anesthetic may be applied to ensure a comfortable experience, depending on the depth of treatment. Then the clinician moves the microneedling pen across the treatment area. It contains ultra-fine needles that penetrate the epidermis to a carefully-controlled depth. Each microcolumn reaches the dermis, stimulating natural wound-healing processes that thicken, tighten, and brighten skin while smoothing surface texture.
Treatment takes less than an hour, and there is essentially no downtime – you may return to normal activities right after your appointment and wear makeup the next day. However, you should apply a good quality, high SPF sunscreen to protect your skin while rejuvenation occurs, and every day to extend results. Most patients notice an immediate healthy-looking radiance and noticeable change within a few weeks. The doctor may suggest a series of microneedling sessions for optimal improvement in your skin’s condition.
Because treatment is “dialed in” to suit the needs of your skin, microneedling is a versatile solution. Dr. Shukla may recommend it to:
- Improve the appearance of fine lines and mild to moderate wrinkles
- Break up acne scar tissue, lessening, shininess, redness, and depth of indented scars
- Soften the appearance of trauma or surgical scars
- “Perk up” a dull, tired complexion, giving it a fresh glow
To further customize treatment and enhance results, microneedling can be followed up with soothing, nourishing serums. The pinpoints created by microneedling allow topical products to penetrate more deeply. Platelet-rich plasma is also an option. After microneedling, skin is treated with growth factors derived from a small sample of your own blood, to boost cellular regeneration.Back to Microneedling Page