Is it possible to shrink my pore size? Dermatologist in Hamilton, ON weighs in
When many people think about skin issues that affect their appearance, wrinkles are what come to mind first. But having a beautiful, even skin tone that is not blemished by large pores can also have a huge impact on the appearance of your skin. If you can easily see your pores when you look in the mirror, you may be wondering if it is possible to shrink your pore size. Fortunately, with some diligence in your home care regimen and the latest skincare technologies, evenly toned skin with smaller pores is possible! Dr. Rahul Shukla, a dermatologist in Hamilton, ON, explains how you can effectively shrink your pores.
Home care techniques – keeping your pores clean
With dedication to good skin care at home to keep your skin clean, exfoliated, and well moisturized, you can begin to clean your pores, which can give the appearance of reduced pores.
- Use a cleanser that contains a low concentration of salicylic acid, lactic acid, or glycolic acid to keep your pores clean and stimulate cellular turnover
- Use topical vitamin C or retinol to boost collagen production and cellular renewal
- Slather on the sunscreen – use a minimum SPF 30 sunscreen every day, rain or shine
- Use an at-home mask or peel weekly that contains alpha and beta hydroxy acids
Pore-minimizing treatments at drs skincare
While the home care regimen described above can help in the battle against clogged pores, these steps will have little impact on actually minimizing pore size. Although there is no perfect solution for pore size reduction, noticeable results can be achieved with the following in-office treatments that are often bundled together to not only reduce pore size but also tackle other common skin issues:
- Clear + Brilliant laser rejuvenation stimulates the formation of elastic tissues and collagen in remodeling in your skin, which results in an overall improvement in your skin quality. In addition to reducing your pore size, it can also lead to a reduced appearance of fine lines, wrinkles, and pigmentation issues, and can improve your skin tone and texture.
- Intense Pulsed Light (IPL) therapy uses light energy to penetrate deep into the skin and stimulate collagen production without harming the surface of the skin, resulting in smaller pores and many other benefits, such as reduced hyperpigmentation and better skin texture and tone.
- Microneedling is a skin rejuvenation method that has truly stood the test of time. By creating micro-injuries in the skin with very fine needles that are rolled over its surface, the body’s natural healing powers are stimulated to boost collagen formation and increase cell turnover. The result is smaller pores and more youthful, glowing skin.
- Radiofrequency microneedling, also known as Fractora, delivers radiofrequency energy via a microneedling technique where an array ultra-fine pins are used to deliver localized heat into the sub-dermal tissues, creating micro-lesions. These microscopic wounds stimulate the body’s natural healing processes, including collagen restructuring, that serve to reduce scarring, reduce pore size, reduce stretch marks, and tighten skin to improve the aesthetic of the skin.
Topical prescription retinoid creams can also provide many benefits to patients with large pores and are often combined with the above devices to optimize results.
Learn more in a consultation
Each patient’s skin is unique. That’s why we offer a highly personalized approach to helping you reach your aesthetic goals. With a wide variety of treatment options to shrink pore size, patients with different skin types and colors can all benefit from more even, beautifully toned skin. To learn more about which treatment options may be a choice for you, call drs skincare in Hamilton, ON today at (905) 524-1712!
Back to Blog Page